Brujo Feo's Sendero

I'm a Libertarian. I support gun rights and gay rights; I support reproductive rights and recreational pharmaceutical rights. I support your right to privacy and your right to your own wallet. I'm against the draft, and taxes, and compulsory state "education." If you're not for liberty, what difference should it make to me which particular stripe of totalitarian you are? --Brujo Feo

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ventura, CA, United States

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Responding to the CS Monitor re U.S. Guns Entering México

On Friday, July 20, 2007, the Christian Science Monitor published an editorial blaming violence in México, especially among warring drug cartels, on "lax" U.S. gun laws, allowing guns to flow freely southward. I'm paraphrasing, but you can read the screed for yourself at http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0720/p08s01-comv.html.

My initial reäction was predictably uncharitable–I mentioned that replying to the CS Monitor may be akin to beating a retarded child--after all, these are people whose propensity for magical thinking leads them to believe that medical care is sinful.

Yes, I’m aware that that statement might be construed as “religiously intolerant.” But then, most religions don’t get a pass–legally--on killing their own children and their elders.

Later. I’ll share with you an amazing little provision in the California Probate Code that provides for precisely that.

I sent them this reply:

**********

Editors:

Poppycock.

The "problem" of American guns in México is not caused by our "lax" gun laws; it's caused by our idiotic tough drug laws. End the lunatic War on Some Drugs today, and watch the cartels--on both sides of the border--simply evaporate. But no; you prefer enriching violent criminals, corrupting our governments, and militarizing our societies. Thanks--nice job. Thank you for murdering our children with your ill-considered little war.

And México doesn't need fewer guns; it needs more. But it needs them in the hands of angry young men. Immigration from México may be a net plus or minus for the U.S.; arguments can be made both ways. But it's been an unmitigated disaster for México. Imagine if we turned away every mojado at the border, but with an AK-47 and a case of cartridges. The corrupt oligarchy enslaving the Mexican people wouldn't last a month. Who do you imagine will overthrow them now? The grandmothers left behind?

You really haven't given any of this very much thought, have you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home